Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Day Three - No Computer

No, not my personal computer (as evidenced by the fact that I'm writing this blog. Although, come to think of it, I do have a blogger application on my fabulous Android phone, so it could be feasible that I am computerless and still blogging...but I'm not. Just so we're clear) it is my work computer that I have been without since Friday now...and I say day three, because, as it is my work computer, I am only counting work days...

Ok, so I'll be the first to admit that sometimes there isn't anything going on at my job and it can get a bit, um boring. Not that I don't have a lot of projects to work on, but it is quiet in the office and when it gets too quiet, the time seems to drag on...I mean really.

So, on Friday morning, I wasn't able to get my computer to power up, except for this...

Yes, as you can plainly see...that is the Windows "I didn't shut my computer down right, so it will see if I want to boot up in Safe Mode" screen...except it isn't in English. In fact, it is not in any language (no matter what you say, Ms. "I can read some of it so it must be SOME language" lady who fixed my computer.) So, I email our in-house "geek squad" (no, I don't work for Best Buy, I just like to call them that...) and I get out of office replies for BOTH of them...I mean, really?! So, I call our help desk and the very nice lady there puts in a ticket for me...a couple of hours later a woman several hours away from me tells me that I can overnight her my computer, she'll get a new one ready and send it my way...
Long story short...well, long story medium at any rate, it is now Tuesday afternoon and I *might* have my computer back tomorrow, but Thursday is more likely. So, I am completely incapacitated at my job, as I have no access to any of the systems I use...save email of course. And, if I'm lucky, she will have been able to at least recover SOME of the stuff that was on my desktop...otherwise, I'm building files all over again from scratch...

So, that's all I've got for now...

-- Kelly

No comments: